Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Little ER Visit...

Welp, no pictures again...promise you wouldn't want to see these pics anyway! Last week Ezra wasn't doin' so hot. He has been sick off and on since October, so we don't get too excited over it these days. But, last week he was coughing so hard that he would vomit. At first it was only about once a day, but this weekend, amongst the rest of the family getting the FLU, he was vomiting much more. Yesterday, after he vomited, his lips were blue. Darrell and I decided that enough was enough. The poor little tyke hadn't kept much food/ liquid down in days, and the blue lips just didn't seem right! So, we packed up and headed for the hospital. He was such a good boy for the nurses and doctor! Held so still while they took blood the first time. (The second time he held still, but about half way through his bottom lip started to curl and he finally cried really hard as she dug that needle around trying to find a vein. I almost cried too!) Anyway, we decided to postpone the IV, in case it wasn't needed. We opted for a nausea pill that the nurse said often does the trick. While we were there, waiting for labs to come back, we saw Uncle Matt out in the hall. Cousin Henry was in the ER too! Same stuff was happening with him. Such a weird coincidence. Once Ezra saw Matt, he just kept saying "Hemmy" over and over. So we took him down a few doors to saw "hi" to his cousin. So sad to see these two little dudes down to their diapers and hospital issued ankle bracelets. Anyway, when Ezra's labs came back, they said he wasn't dehydrated enough to need IV fluids. So, we packed up and came home. When we got home we discovered that the pill really did it's magic. The boy ate more food than I've seen him eat all week. I finally had to cut him off because I was afraid too much might cause vomiting again. So, we are home this morning. It is after 9 AM and our little "patient" is still asleep. (Sorry to bail on you at the daycare Grandma!) Keeping our fingers crossed that Ezra can finally get better and we can enjoy wrestling his busy little self again!

2 comments:

Amy Heath said...

I love that magic pill! I had to take Austin once, and they gave him the same thing. Once he did, he ate, and ate, and ate, and drank, and drank, and drank...it was awesome! I wish I had a few of those pills just laying around for spare!

Hillfivesome said...

So sorry to hear about Ezra. I now understand why you didnt' call back. I will call you tonight. Get some sleep. Get better Ezra