Darrell has worked his guts out on our yard this year! He planted peas, carrots, beets, tomatoes, corn, onions, peppers, green beans, strawberries, huckleberries, and raspberries. Also...grass! His evenings are pretty much consumed with watering and weeding and mowing! In the past, we haven't been super fond of onions because of their potent flavor and they cause great heart burn. But, since we have a garden-full, we decided to try doing something with them so they wouldn't go to waste. My Dad gave us a food dryer for Christmas so I busted it out and dried 2 or 3 onions, then crushed them up and put them in an empty container.


I often use dried onions when I cook because they aren't as potent as fresh onions. We have also learned how sweet onions taste when grilled. So, whenever we fire up the grill to do pork chops, burgers, or chicken, Darrell throws some onions on to cook. Mmmmmmmm. Yummo! We have eaten some carrots, beats, peas, and most recently beans. I am trying to lern about how to preserve our food, so we can enjoy it later also! Sure wish I had a pressure cooker! For now, I will have to borrow a cooker and see what bottles we can scrounge up. Then when we can...invest.
No comments:
Post a Comment