Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Night Terrors

Has anyone ever experienced night terrors with their toddler? I have been researching, and I think that might be what we're dealing with. Poor Ezra. Just curious about your experiences and advice...

5 comments:

Gina said...

My nephew Steve's sister's son had them really bad. I can ask her any questions you want. Sorry you guys are experiencing that. No fun:(

Hillfivesome said...

We had it also with Madison, went in and rubbed her back and kept telling her that everything was ok. Eventually five to ten minutes later it would stop but she would usually have two to three a night.

Amy Heath said...

That happens in our house occasionally, we just hold them till they're fully awake. Then we get a drink, say a little prayer, and go potty....then off to dream land again. We usually stay awake long enough so we don't slip back into the dreams again. Also, it only happens at a certain stage of sleep. Make sure little man isn't too exhausted when he goes to sleep at night.

Erica said...

Ava has night terrors! They suck!
a few things that help us out is if we keep her on a regular bedtime schedule/routine. bath, stories, prayer and bed by 8:30. When we deviate from that she wakes up screaming every 45-60min.
When she does wake up screaming I will change her diaper w/ a cold wipe and wipe her face to try to get her to snap out of it.
But as far as preventing them - a consistent and regular bedtime routine helps us out. When she gets overly tired forget about it!! She will be awake every 45-60min all night long!

Wards said...

I don't know if Megan had "Night Terrors" or just started having bad dreams. We cut out TV and movies totally and that helped out a ton! Also the regular bedtime and an early evening bed time helped. Personally I believe what kids are viewing makes a huge difference in behaviors and sleep patterns. It was a challenge as a parent to not allow any tv-not even church videos, but the change was nearly immediate. I don't have any hard research on that, just personal experience. Scripture time, story time, prayer time routine also sets the spirit for a good nights sleep. Megan now prays that she won't have bad dreams and that mom and dad won't have bad dreams and that also helps-plus a night light. Good luck!